Professor Tadatomo Suga
Tadatomo Suga, Professor of School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
He received the M.S. degree in precision engineering from the University of Tokyo in 1979. He joined the Max-Planck Institut für Metallforschung, Stuttgart, in 1979, and received the Ph.D. degree from University of Stuttgart in 1983 for his study on fracture mechanics characterization of metal-ceramic interfaces. In 1984 he became a member of the Faculty of Engineering, the University of Tokyo, and since 1993, he has been a professor of precision engineering. He is conducting also a research group in National Institute of Materials Science (NIMS) in Tsukuba as a director, and also he is a member of the Science Council of Japan. He was appointed as the 20th council members of the Japan Council of Science on October 2005. His researches focus on micro-systems integration and packaging, and development of interconnect technology, especially the room temperature bonding technique for various applications. He has endeavored to establish collaboration between industries and academia for the packaging technology. He organized the foundation of the Institute of Micro-System Integration (IMSI) in 1997, the first consortium for the competitive packaging industry which is consisting of 30 Japanese companies. He has advocated also the importance of environmental aspects of packaging technology and is well-known as the key organizer of Japanese roadmap of lead-free soldering and International Eco-design Conference. He has published 200 papers and 5 books in the field of material science and electronic packaging.
- 1953: born in Kanazawa, Japan
- 1979: Master of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
- 1983: Doctor rerum naturalium, Universität Stuttgart
- 1979 - 1984: Max-Plank-Institute für Metallforschung, Research associate
- 1984 - 1993: The University of Tokyo, Associate Professor
- 1993 - present: The University of Tokyo, Professor
- 2002 - present: National Institute of Materials Science (NIMS), Director of Interconnect Design Team
- 2006: appointed as Council Member of the Science Council of Japan (SCJ)
Member of board directors of Japan Institute of Electronics Packaging(JIEP), Japan Society for Abrasive Technology(JSAT), Japan Society of Precision Engineering(JSPE), Secretariat General of Union of Ecodesigners, Managing Director of NPO Ecodesign Promotion Network, IEEE-CPMT Society Japan Chapter Chair, Member of IEEE, ECS, and Japan Institute of Metals(JIM), Japan Soceity for Applied Physics(JSAP), Japan Societ of Mechanical Engineers(JSME), etc.
- JIM Best Paer (1992)
- JIEP Best Paper (1999)
- MES Best Paper (2000)
- SOLDERTEC award (2000)
- IEEE ECTC Best Paper Award (2000)
- ICEPT Best Paper Award (2003)
- ICEPT Best Paper Award (2006)
'Joining of Ceramics' in Japanese (1990), 'Electronics Ecodesign' in Japanese (2002), and other 8 books, 140 scientific papers, 20 patents.
Materials Interfaces and Processing